Summary:1. Technical principles of flint and steel. Generally, in the manufacture of flint and steel alloys,...
1. Technical principles of flint and steel. Generally, in the manufacture of flint and steel alloys, mixed rare earth metals are widely used, of which cerium is the main component. Contains light rare earth elements such as lanthanum, praseodymium, and neodymium. Utilizing the chemical properties of rare earth metals, they are active and have a strong affinity for oxygen. The cerium group metals have a very low ignition temperature (165°C for cerium, 290°C for praseodymium, and 270°C for neodymium) and emit a lot of heat when burned.
2. How to use flint and steel
Slowly scrape the flint with a metal blade to produce some debris in a small pile of hay, leaves or paper, and quickly scratch the magnesium bar to produce sparks to ignite the magnesium debris. When the flame is generated, a thin wooden stick is added to form a flame.
The reliability of Super Flint has made it a favorite among outdoor experts, hunters, fishing enthusiasts and campers. It is also an easy way to light stoves and petrol grills in huts or backyards. Surprisingly, it can also work normally in humid environments. Everyone will be happy to be able to use such a simple tool to make a fire.
2. How to inspect the quality of flint and steel
1. Visual inspection Through visual inspection, the surface defects of the product can be found. Such as cold insulation and under-casting of ingots; bubbles, coke heads, thickness and defects of elliptical deformed slivers in extruded slivers; mottling, paint stripping, oblique heads, mechanical damages on the surface of finished particles, etc.
2. Metallographic inspection Metallographic inspection is usually to check the structure of the alloy to judge its alloy performance, but it is in production. For some defects whose properties are difficult to judge, some sections of alloys are often inspected by metallography. This is a kind of monitoring for ingots and flint alloys.
3. Elemental chemical analysis Flintstone has different formulas, and its composition is different, but the main components are rare earth metals and iron. Add a small amount of magnesium, zinc, copper and other alloys composed of multiple elements. Analyzing the content of flint products is of great significance for stabilizing normal production and ensuring the quality of flintstones. Preparation of sample solution: Weigh a certain amount of flint and put it into a beaker. Add water, add concentrated hydrochloric acid, and heat to decompose, then gradually add nitric acid dropwise until it is dissolved, and then transfer it into a volumetric flask, which is the required sample solution.
(1) Determination of the total amount of rare earths: Measured by the oxalate gravimetric method. Precipitate with dilute oxalic acid solution, filter, burn, and weigh. Get its total rare earth oxides.
(2) Determination of cerium: use o-phenanthroline as indicator and titrate with ferrous sulfate according to standard solution.
(3) Determination of iron: titrate with potassium dichromate standard solution with potassium aniline sulfonate indicator.
(4) Determination of copper: use starch as indicator. Titrate with sodium thiosulfate standard solution.